Today we try one of the best dishes of Peruvian cuisine, the Ceviche. Also called ceviche or seviche, this dish is a mixture of fresh fish marinated in citrus and with some garnishes. Today’s ceviche recipe will be the most traditional, although as you well know, it tends to vary from region to region as well as country to country.
We can say that ceviche is a food or appetizer recipe to share, I like to put it in the center of the table for everyone to nibble on. Other recipes you can marinate fish are marinated salmon wavy salted anchovy And if what you like is Peruvian gastronomy, I recommend the delicious rice hoopa recipe you won’t regret.
where does ceviche come from
The word comes from Quechua Suichithis name translates as tender fish or fresh fisheither. According to historians it is believed that the name originates from that time.
What fish to use in Peruvian ceviche
We must use a fresh and fleshy fish, the most suitable fish for this is the croaker, but today we can find ceviches of sea bass, grouper, sole, mackerel, shrimp or any other rock fish. Actually this dish allows many variations, today we will make a ceviche with fresh sea bass.
What seasonings are in ceviche and where can you find them
We have to say that years ago they were hard to find, but today in any grocery store with South American products you will find them easily, that is if you want a real traditional ceviche.
- ground chili: Chili is a mixture of dried chilies, let’s say it’s something similar to our cayenne pepper. In Latin cuisine it is used in a large number of dishes.
- corn field: In Spain we practically only know one kind of corn, in South America there are hundreds of varieties. Cancha corn is browned in the pan until you get a kind of roasted corn like kikos, but it has nothing to do with it. If for whatever reason you don’t have this corn on hand, you can use roasted corn or unsalted chickpeas, it’s not traditional but to detangle it’s fine.
- Corn on the cob: This type of corn is incorporated cooked, giving it a mild flavor and its color is very characteristic since it is almost white. You can find these two in any Latin supermarket.
- Sweet potato and red onion: Other traditional ingredients that you can buy in any supermarket you have available. It is recommended to use red onion as it is less potent when eaten raw.
- Tiger’s milk: It is a mixture of ingredients that I will explain below, one of the basic bases of the dish.
Prepare tiger’s milk for ceviche
Tiger’s milk is the “broth” that is prepared and with which the fish, in this case sea bass, is marinated. It is really easy to prepare. Let’s go with that.
Ingredients for tiger milk
- 200 ml fish stock
- 70 grams of fish pieces (we will use the losses from the sea bass)
- half a garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon of fresh ginger
- 1 stick celery (about 30 grams)
- Half a teaspoon of hot pepper
- 4 or 5 coriander leaves
- Half a red onion cut into thin strips
To prepare the milk, put all the ingredients in a blender glass and mix it. Remember that fish scraps should not contain bones, just the typical ugly or black parts. On the other hand, if we don’t have homemade fish stock, it’s better to use water.
Flour very well and strain to leave a kind of broth with a delicious taste with which to soak the ceviche.
Ingredients to make Peruvian ceviche
- 300 grams of fresh sea bass
- lemon juice or juice of 2 limes.
- 1 tablespoon of corn
- 1 tablespoon cacha corn
- Fresh chili pepper or chili pepper or yellow chili finely chopped
- 1 sweet potato
- fresh coriander
1.- We start by baking the sweet potato. Wrap in aluminum foil and bake at 180º for 1 hour. Once ready, let it cool, peel and cut into some cubes. We’re closed.
2.- On the other hand, clean the corvina or any other white fish we have and clean it well, the cuts as I mentioned above will be for the leche de tigre. Cut the fish into small pieces and keep aside.
3.- Cut the onion into fine julienne, so it will be a more balanced bite.
4.- Place some ice cubes in a metal bowl and cool the bowl well. This will help keep the fish cold while marinating. Add the pieces of raw fish and cover with leche de tigre and lime or lemon juice. Let them marinate for about 3 or 4 minutes.
How to serve ceviche
5.- Serve the dish with the marinated fish base, the onion on top along with the roasted corn and corn, some slices of chili pepper, the baked sweet potato and some fresh coriander leaves.